Originally Posted by Fireball2
I read yesterday where the first cop to the scene in San Bernadino arrived and sat in his car for two minutes waiting for backup to arrive. He wouldn't or wasn't allowed to go in alone. I don't think I could sit for two minutes thinking people were being murdered inside when I could save some.

Honestly, I hope what I read isn't true. It bothers me. If it is, that's a problem. If it is true, I'm sure it's "prudent" or dept policy or some such. I wouldn't make a good cop under those circumstances.

I'd be going in that building before my patrol car had rolled to a stop. It's not just a job, it's about serving people. If you are in to write tickets and slap around old women, you're in the wrong profession.
In the military, let's say your column is strung out a mile with guys spaced fifty yards apart. You outnumber the enemy something like three-to-one and it will be easy to overcome them. You can't just keep marching into their fire though. You have to have a rally point and then attack en-masse in order to win. You aren't going to do the people inside any good by becoming a casualty.

The problem with ALICE training and lots of other best practices or policies is their static nature in a fluid situation. It's difficult to maintain control over your assets though, without such things, especially in the age of litigation.