Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
If this has been asked somewheres already I apologize....

It seems established that the dispute revolved around Mr Yantis' intention to put down the bull with a firearm at that moment in time, over the objections of the officers working the scene.

If Mr. Yantis had indeed proceeded with this act, against specific instructions, what crime would he have been guilty of?

What lawful authority is extended to officers working an accident scene, how far does that authority extend, and what can they tell people to do or not to do?

Thanks,

Birdwatcher

It varies from State to State. In Texas, any "hazard" that requires emergency response involving a "highway, street, sidewalk, railway, waterway, elevator, aisle, hallway, entrance, or exit to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access, or any other place used for the passage of persons, vehicles, or conveyances" requires that a person obey a "reasonable request or order to move issued by a person the actor knows to be or is informed is a peace officer , a fireman, or a person with authority to control the use of the premises".

The offense would be OBSTRUCTING HIGHWAY OR OTHER PASSAGEWAY.

In a nutshell, it means don't get in the middle of an cluster unless you are helping. I doubt this was an issue here and won't speculate what was.

If what is reported is accurate and I have no way of knowing for sure if it is or not. No way would I grab a man by the should to spin him around with his finger on the trigger. That appears to be the catalyst that set the done a road that should not have benn traveled.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first