Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I spent 20 years in federal LE and some time as a reserve deputy as well. I developed a reputation of being very good at gaining verbal compliance. Here's why. I didn't always expect blind obedience. I was humble enough to accept that my fellow countryman, a freeman, would sometimes want to question authority. In fact I kinda expected it from a fellow American. In many situations (the subject traffic stop included) the tactical situation allows a little soft handing and deescalation. You know, a little Andy Griffith. Consequently, he was my professional role model. If cops aren't willing to entertain a little passive questioning of their authority, they are in the wrong position and out of touch with the patriotic spirit of this country.

I wasn't aware that Feds do traffic stops but hey...it's your story...tell it any way you want to...

Let me lend assistance to the contextually impaired here. Some feds do traffic stops. I didn't as a fed. I did mention that I was a reserve deputy. Reserve deputies do traffic stops. I did. All that aside, one needn't do traffic stops to understand how verbal deescalation works.