Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
We keep constantly hearing that a lack of training is what caused the "accident" or whatever. When are we going to face the fact that in some of these cases, the training is what caused the accident?

Damn...... I'm glad somebody posted what a lot of us have thought.

I've always believed that the different motivations for choosing a career in L.E. set that group apart from the "general population". [I also believe the bad motivations outnumber the good ones, but hopefully, that's not reflected in the L.E. population due to a "weeding out" in the hiring process].

But even if there is no difference, the results are more dangerous when relying on common sense is replaced by "training".

Copying military training for cops is the problem, in my opinion.

In the military, the mission is paramount. Personal safety is obviously important, but it's secondary to accomplishing the mission. Casualties are expected in a large scale operation.

When Law Enforcement training adopts all the tactics of the military, but reverses the order of importance - where personal safety trumps all - a bad thing happens:

Each person encountered becomes the potential "enemy". Any action on his part other than surrender causes the "training" to kick in and "potential" becomes "actual".

And we have a divide.

Two excellent posts. Spot on.