Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Alexander Hamilton included these words in his instruction to his Revenue Cutter Service commanding officers.

While I recommend in the strongest terms to the respective officers, activity, vigilance and
firmness, I feel no less solicitude, that their deportment may be marked with prudence,
moderation and good temper. Upon these last qualities, not less that the former, must depend
the success, usefulness and consequently continuance of the establishment in which they are
included. They cannot be insensible that there are some prepossessions against it, that the
charge with which they are intrusted [sic] is a delicate one, and that it is easy by
mismanagement, to produce serious and extensive clamour, disgust and odium.
They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are
impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore,
refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of
haughtiness, rudeness, or insult. If obstacles occur, they will remember that they are under the
particular protection of the laws and that they can meet with nothing disagreeable in the
execution of their duty which these will not severely reprehend. This reflection, and a regard
to the good of the service, will prevent, at all times a spirit of irritation or resentment. They
will endeavor to overcome difficulties, if any are experienced, by a cool and temperate
perseverance in their duty--by address and moderation, rather than by vehemence or violence.

More timeless words of LE value may have never been penned. I never certified a soul to conduct CG LE unless they knew these words and embraced them. They may be more on point today than ever before.

Most of our local campfire LEO don't believe a word of that.

You likely can't identify "most". You dn sure are ignorant about what many believe.

Carry on, though, it's slightly amusing to watch.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�