Originally Posted by Jahrs
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Christianity answers the questions that bridge the heart and mind. It is truth and relevant. The question is not if Jesus died and rose again, but why?

Let's presume for a moment that he didn't exist.

Would the precepts of Christianity remain true
[quote=Jahrs]Then you want to suppose for a moment that history did not turn out the way it did and that there was no Messiah proclaimed in the Old Testament who was never born?

The Jews don't believe Jesus was the Messiah, nor the Muslims, nor the Hindu's not the Buddhists, or the Shinto's.....and in my opinion, the evidence for Mohammed and Buddha are equally suspect. I'll even go so far as to throw in Socrates into that club.

Here's the difference between Socrates and everyone else mentioned above. The question of the truth of the propositions made in his name are not dependent upon weather or not he existed. It doesn't matter if The Republic was dictated by Socratic's himself, or written by a student of Plato the precepts stand and fall on their own.

In contrast, you've just admitted the same cannot be said for Christianity.

You can’t lump all Jews into that category. Wernt they all jews that were praying in the upper room? All of the initial Christians were Jews as well.
And to question the truth of the proposition, as you say, made in Jesus’ name being dependent upon whether or not he existed would mean that the Bible, His Word, would be false.

Christianity answers the questions that bridge the heart and mind. It is truth and relevant. The question is not if Jesus died and rose again, but why?

Let's presume for a moment that he didn't exist.

Would the precepts of Christianity remain true?

And with this question you are admitting that those propositions are true.

I should of been more clear and asked if it would change the truth value of the precepts, or something of that nature. In other words, do the Christian claims regarding what's proper behavior and wisdom survive scrutiny with out the supernatural god claims. Can the Christian precepts stand on their own?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell