Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by RickyD
They did a whole lot more than just slander during the Inquisition. We know how Christians behave when they have unfettered power, they commit atrocities on the same scale as Stalin and Mao, but don't worry, Thunderstick will be along soon with his "No True Scottsman" Fallacy to tell how the leaders of the Inquisition didn't really believe they were Christians.....

No, we know how humans behave when they have unfettered power. Claiming Christianity means nothing. Walking that walk means everything. Obviously then, inquisitor's were not Christian, regardless of what they claimed.

Who are you to say they were not Christian?

Did they believe they were serving God?

Were their actions sanctioned by the religious leaders, including the Popes of their time?

I didn't make the statement you quoted.

They did a whole lot more than just slander during the Inquisition. We know how Christians behave when they have unfettered power, they commit atrocities on the same scale as Stalin and Mao, but don't worry, Thunderstick will be along soon with his "No True Scottsman" Fallacy to tell how the leaders of the Inquisition didn't really believe they were Christians.....

As noted before, Christianity is defined by Christ and His teachings. He never performed such acts and therefore anyone doing those things were departing from the example of Christ and not following it.

I quoted what I was referring to above, to give context to my claim about your position. It was not my intent to misquote you. So are you saying the leaders of the Inquisition, those who carried out all those brutal tortures, murders, and ran their intimidation racket across all of Christendom, were Christian? Did they believe they were Christian and carrying out The Will of God?

Did these events not constitute atrocities carried out in the name of God?

As for Sweet Jesus, meek and mild, there wasn't much, if anything of hell in the Old Testament. The Jews believed death was akin to sleeping with your ancestors. Eternal Damnation and burning in fire forever was really a consequence of the New Testament.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/20/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell