Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by Starman
For those not on the short list to get into heaven, take heart that God is still with you in hell.

Psa 139: KJV -
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

This is another good example of the skeptics lack of Scriptural understanding:
The word hell is used to mean grave or place of punishment. David is saying if he dies or takes his life and should he go to the grave
or the abode of the wicked he will not escape the judgment of God. In the final judgment death and hell will give up their dead to stand
before the Great White throne judgment to be tried for their deeds on earth. Rev.20:13

You say one is interimly punished [whilst waiting in the grave] before the white throne final judgment?- then following the white throne
one is cast into the lake of fire as punishment?

Why would God prematurely punish a person before his or her case was tried ?

are not Both the saved and unsaved who have died , all in their graves “sleeping” until the resurrection day?

and regarding the lake of Fire punishment,... thats not an eternal torture form of punishment, cause to be tortured and tormented for ever
would mean one would have to be immortal...and scripture is clear that one shall suffer the 2nd Death...which to me means total annihilation.
" And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." (Revelation 20:14)
"I turned you to ashes ...you shall.be no more for ever" ( Ezekiel 28)
“The soul who sins shall die” (Ezekiel 18:20).
“Rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matthew 10:28).

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

We are judged in this world already based on our acceptance or rejection of Christ and our eternal destiny is declared accordingly. The scriptures testify the souls of the saints leave this world to be with Christ and their bodies lie in the grave. The wicked souls go to hell and their bodies lie in the grave. In the general resurrection the souls of wicked dead are reunited with their bodies to stand before the final tribunal. The purpose of the final judgment is not to determine guilt but to show the evidence of guilt before the whole world and to execute the degree of their final sentence. All those whose names are not written in the book of life are cast into the lake of fire.

The second death has never meant annihilation just like the first death never meant annihilation. The lake of fire is the second death and the wicked are cast into it where the beast and the false prophet ARE ... along with them the torment is forever.
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

2Thess. 1:7And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Destroyed equals an everlasting destruction of torment and separation from God.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 07/08/19.