Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

I find it difficult to believe in people that say they believe in Christ yet they have not given all their wealth away, and are not poor humble people living with nothing and spreading the word. Jesus Christ is very clear about what you have to do to be a Christian, and what the penalties are if you do not.
Only the poor need apply for a start. I don't think that nearly all Christian people really do believe in the bible, not really. The bible is very clear on all points.

I can therefor say, that I have never met anyone who was a true Christian except for a man I once saw, who lived rough, had nothing at all, and was shouting at passers-by from a park about how they were all going to hell. (Or some monks and priests that I have read about, having not met complete ascetics myself personally.)

That man was the only true Christian I have met. I can't see anyone on this thread for example, as having followed Jesus's instructions, and I am not sure I believe them when they say they are believers, or profess to believe that he the only "true way" or other similar language.

I have thoguht a good deal about this.

The gospel has always been for all classes of people. No one can earn their salvation by riches or voluntary poverty. Jesus talked to people from all walks of life. He was always consistent on Him being the only way of salvation and the importance for us to follow His moral and spiritual teachings. He did not give every person the same life direction regarding wealth because each person's calling can be different. The Scriptures give guidance to the rich and poor and indicate that covetousness is not based on what we do or do not have, but rather it is a condition of the heart that can affect all classes. Instructions are given concerning those who are rich to not trust in their riches ... which also assumes their will be some rich believers. In every class of wealth or poverty we are called upon to yield those resources to the Lord and use them as He would direct our lives. We are told not to trust in uncertain riches but in the One who gives to us richly.

The gospels reiterate many times their association with the poor, it seems to me the gospels do not have the amount of leeway to allow an interpretation as you have written, although I am still considering the matter.
I am not entirely convinced that the gospels were aimed at people from all walks of life, or even that they were intended other than exclusively for the Jews. Jesus's words to the Canaanite woman make that specifically clear, I did not understand this passage in the past, (as it wasn't made clear to me that she was a gentile woman.)
I am not considering at this time what was written afterwards, such as by Paul, or even James, I am studying Jesus's words.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain