Originally Posted by RickyD
"Here is my Creed," Franklin wrote to Stiles. "I believe in one God, Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That he ought to be worshipped. That the most acceptable Service we render to him, is doing Good to his other Children. That the Soul of Man is immortal, and will be treated with Justice in another Life respecting its Conduct in this ... As for Jesus of Nazareth ... I think the system of Morals and Religion as he left them to us, the best the World ever saw ... but I have ... some Doubts to his Divinity; though' it is a Question I do not dogmatism upon, having never studied it, and think it is needless to busy myself with it now, where I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble."

The narrative was classic Franklin, witty and to the point. Religion was worthless unless it promoted virtuous behavior. Jesus was the greatest moral teacher who ever lived, but he was not God.

Franklin didn't say Jesus was not God. He said he didn't know if He was and had doubts, but chose not to pursue them at that stage in his life.

Pity. He was so close to achieving his salvation. Perhaps he did, though, in a moment of revelation and understanding.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Seems Ben Franklin was also a mason. Masons are required to profess a belief in an almighty God, but that god could the god of the Jews.... or god or the muslims or whatever.

Franklins final words seem consistent with this. Sweet sounding words can still be lies from the pit of hell. Believer in”God” but not in Jesus the Messiah?

Seems a hollow belief .....

Last edited by TF49; 07/09/19. Reason: Spel, Becker got me.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”