Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TF49
Wait a bit. While a good post with interesting points, is the list you posted more of a “social” or codes associated with established societies and not directly related to one’s own personal conduct?

Let me think about this a while.

Societal norms and codified behaviors seem different than personal moral conduct.

TF,

That's a valid question.

The list is about PERSONAL moral values. As an example, some people may have personal moral values that promote the general welfare of the society, because if the society fails, well, that's bad for all of us. Other's may have a personal moral value hierarchy that emphasizes values focused on the individual.

Liberals might be focuses on the plight of the poor illegal immigrants as individuals, while conservatives may be more concerned about crime and disease they bring, along with how it's unfair they consume more tax money than they pay in.

So think of it as six variable through which people can view moral issues at both the micro and macro level.

Well, I’ve got to cogitate some more and life is busy back east so I have to be gone for awhile.

Still seems like ethics as taught by a society and their norms and is different from how a moral or immoral person may behave.

One would think that a person with “ethics” would behave consistent with the norms, but when somehow challenged on a very personal level, may make an immoral judgment or take immoral or unethical action.

Morals and societal ethics seem different to me.....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”