Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by DBT
I would not. But the Patriarchs of the OT would.

In that post, I simply offered to you, their rationalization.

I wrote of what I was taught. I did not speak therein of what I believe.

Just for the sake of argument, you would not kill your child for breaking the Sabbath, gathering toys, sticks or whatever, and neither would any reasonable human being in this day and age.

Which appears to make us as human beings more reasonable, more caring, more considerate than the God of the bible as described in these verses....a God, a Being, that is supposed to be the ultimate in love, compassoon and mercy is surpassed by His creatures.

I'll put it this way. if I were a pioneer trying to raise a family in the wilderness, without the recourse of modern legal and medical intervention and I had one bad child making attempts to kill his siblings........Yes, I would put him down.
Originally Posted by DBT
I would not. But the Patriarchs of the OT would.

In that post, I simply offered to you, their rationalization.

I wrote of what I was taught. I did not speak therein of what I believe.

According to the stick gathering account it was God himself who ordered the killing. The patriarchs were not certain what to do

From whose mouth did the congregation hear the order to kill the law breaker?

Does anyone really believe the order was delivered by a voice from the heavens? Or was the order delivered by a priest who claimed to be speaking for God?

As to my personal belief......the swamp did not spring into existence this decade, or this century, or this millennium.

The swamp has existed since men first started gathering together into caves for protection and since men started building clusters of huts and calling them villages.

And the swamp certainly existed in the early Hebrew Priesthood. That priesthood was made of men corrupted by their power over other men, corrupted by their ability to extort tithes and offerings from other men, corrupted by the absolute power of life and death over their subjects, just like any other ruler of their day.

And these are the men who remembered and interpreted and repeated the oral traditions for centuries until the tools were available to record those stories on paper or parchment or hides or clay tablets.

As far as it's known, nobody has ever heard anything from any God, not in the history of the world.

Everything we have comes from those who claim to be the representatives of this or that God. Never God himself, openly and honestly interacting with us.

There lies the problem.

God spoke the 10 commandments audibly to establish Moses as His spokesperson. The congregation also asked that God would speak through Moses.

Jesus came in humanity to bring the gospel. God does not speak His inspired word to each individual otherwise we would have numerous contradictory claims. These would be real and not merely alleged. The prophets of the OT spoke near and far claims to validate them as messengers.
Jesus life death and resurrection validated His ministry. He left His apostles to finish it and the door of revelation was closed.

The validation of the prophets with their fulfillments is unassailable as well as the testimony. Of Jesus in this world.

Except for the part where Moses never existed.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell