Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
One can love god, and our neighbours as ourselves, but the gospels tell me there is more required than that. I don't believe there is a lite version of Christianity where we can disregard what Christ said in the gospels.

Yes, but note that if we get firm in our “followance” of the first two, then we will follow God, obey his commands and life life as He directs us in a manner more fruitful and pleasing to Him.

Remember, God does not need our work or service or money or anything from us.....to accomplish His will on earth. Seems that what He wants from us first and foremost,is that intimate relationship with Him. Our works at service then follow on as we please the God who loves us and who reveals Himself to us.

I understand what you mean, I just can't see how one can pass over specific instructions Jesus said in the gospels. To give one example, about giving away everything and following him, such as what he told the rich man, or saying that it would be easier to pass through the eye of a needle than for a wealthy man to enter heaven.
He says : "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth." And further: "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than to go with two hands into hell, where the fire never goes out."
And then from ( I think Mathew) "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God."

I think this must be a point of concern for a Christian person. I am still considering this and what it means for someone who says they believe in a Christian God yet owns three houses.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 07/01/19.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain