Originally Posted by nighthawk
I'll repeat, defying God's command was not considered trivial in those days. And does anyone else think OT writers used literary devices such as allegory to get the point of their moral teachings across to the masses?

It doesn't matter what was or is considered be trivial or deadly serious, this issue purely and simply compares descriptions that the bible itself gives on the nature of God. The problem being that there are two opposing descriptions; one version is that of a god of love, merciful, forgiving not keeping a record of wrongs...the other we are told of a vindictive god, punishing four generations for the sins of the parents, the death penalty for minor transgressions, etc.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what you or I consider to be trivial, what your or my code of ethics happens to be. This is nothing more than what the bible itself describes.

"God is love." - 1 John 4:8 1 Corinthians 13; Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'

In opposition to.

so YHWH will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nothing; (Deut 28:63)

I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear comes. (Proverbs 1:26)

"And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? Or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Have not I the Lord?" Exodus 4:11

''The Lord is a man of war'' Exodus 15:3.

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". Isaiah 42:13

Last edited by DBT; 07/13/19.