Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
The metaphor of cutting off your hand, is intended to as I understand it, to remove things from yourself that lead you to sin, in the context I brought it up it means to give away material wealth, leading into "blessed are the poor for yours is the kingdom of God.

To be honest, I do not have a view. I am trying to understand. there seems to be something important there, but I haven't got it straight yet completely. When someone says to me they believe in God, I am wondering - do you really? Is it possible to think of oneself as a complete or even devout Christian, and be wrong about it?

Really good thoughts....

The heart of the question may relate to the presence or absence of the Holy Spirit in one’s life.

Anyway, it has been my observation that a person that does not have the Spirit, worries little about whether or not he knows God or whether of not God knows him.

Concern or doubt about one’s salvation may be a good thing. It seems to indicate that God is working and a right and correct spiritual struggle is happening.

Spiritual growth is good, but with it come challenges.... challenges to one’s faith and challenges in life experiences ..... leads to a closer walk.

Told this before, but I had a guy come to me and ask me whether or not he was saved. He told me of his experiences and doubts. I asked him to get a sheet of paper and put two boxes on it..... one marked yes and the other marked no. I asked the question of him.... do you know God and does He know you? Pray about it and mark a box.

He went home and the next day he told me that he found it uncomfortable and in fact impossible to mark the “no” box. He marked the “yes” box. Settled that for him. He sought and gave God a chance to take him on another step in spiritual growth.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”