Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
DBT

I reiterate if you wish to do a more in-depth moral analysis of the Bible you need to declare:

1. if you are a moral person
2.if you have a moral code and then provide it in written form
3. if you believe the NT is a reliable record of Jesus' teachings.

It is sheer folly to proceed without this understanding in place. You want to engage in a moral analysis but you refuse to identify by what standard we are evaluating the coherency of Bible morality. Again if you do not have a moral code you are not a moral person and therefore not qualified to do a moral analysis of any type. Your amorality or immorality will prejudice you against any sound moral argument. This would be same as taking a convicted criminal from a penitentiary and sitting him in the judge's seat to interpret case law as he saw fit.
?

How do you prove that you have a moral code in written form. You can state what you believe in, but actions don't always match what we say. You prove your moral code in your actions. Morality comes in many forms. What is considered moral by one could very well be considered immoral to others.

Have you ever took a college level ethics class? You would know that a supernatural being is only one of about three main theories of the origins of ethics/morality. You do not need a belief in god to be a moral person. I would be willing to bet that in comparison of a religious group and an atheist group, they would both have about the same distribution of what many would consider moral and immoral population.

Your making a judgement against another member, and if he did provide a glimpse his moral compass, you would likely dismiss it based on your own bias.

Yes of course you can have personal morals without writing them down. But unless they are based on something that can be written down they are worthless. Additionally, if you are going to do a moral analysis from a moral benchmark you need to write them down so everyone can see the moral benchmark. My code is written, but no skeptics have provided their code by which they are making moral observations and judgments.

And yes as you note no skeptic here seems willing to provide a written moral code that they will stand by. That is a very evident sign of the weakness of their system and why moral discussions with them are often unproductive. I did not ask for belief in deity, I asked for a written moral code for reference.

I'm still waiting for that--lacking that there is no moral foundation in skepticism and no means by which a skeptic can consider themselves a moral person.

Do you have a moral code that you ascribe to? Is it written or can it be written? Does anyone else use it or is it just your personal opinion?

Last edited by Thunderstick; 07/11/19.