Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Hes stupid enough to think Jesus walked the earth giving the Good News knowing it wasnt true and hoping to hoodwink millions of people to spend billions over the ages supporting churches and pastors without seeking financial gain for himself.

Sheesh.

What was Jesus to get out of life for his charade other than crucifiction? Dumbasses never consider these things.

Hey rimfire, Jesus only wanted to pull the wool over on guys like me,

Or, "If it were not so i would not have told you so".

I have no doubt Jesus of Nazerath was a man who did walk the Earth. I have no doubt that he had a mother named Mary. And I have no doubt that both were tools used by a faction of the Jewish Priesthood bent of splintering The Church and taking it in a new, more benevolent direction.

Either Mary was impregnated by these Jewish Priests, who later confirmed her virginity, or else the entire "virgin birth" was a myth born of whole cloth used to impress superstitious peoples and gain converts. Heck, we impregnate cows everyday with a straw small enough to leave the hymen intact.

David Copperfield could easily replicate any of the "miracles" performed by Jesus in front of illiterate, peasant crowds. Modern fakirs heal people in front of crowds quite often, and none of them are God incarnate.

And as far as the man dying, coming back to life, and disappearing again. That is certainly not an illusion which would be difficult to replicate in any time period. body doubles? twin brothers? possibilities abound.

The biggest problem with all of this is that the alleged perpetrators of the hoax were willing to die pretty uncomfortable deaths for the lie.....all of them. The followers of Jesus were not "Jewish priests bent on a more benevolent direction" but were in fact Jewish zealots who wanted to get the Romans off their asses and thought Jesus was going to do it. Jews to this day have never been about being inclusive. They see themselves as an exclusive club and don't proselytize. The rational reaction from this group of people to their Messiah being crucified would have been to either give up or throw in with the next guy claiming to be the Messiah...not to attempt to start a new religion about a failed Messiah promising no earthly rewards....just persecution. I'd say if they faked it, human nature being what it is, they would have spread the gospel with violence like the Muslims.....or the Catholic Church of the middle ages.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn