Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Consider this:
If we say God was immoral for using annihilation measures in war after people refused to leave, surrender, or make an agreement ... are we also morally condemning the Allied powers for their bombings of Berlin and Hiroshima and Nagasaki to end the War when the Axis powers refused to surrender?

In Berlin, the bombings went to night time because the day time bombings were too costly, but in doing so the military could not be solely targeted, but rather area bombing at night was employed which also hit population centers and killed indiscriminately.

With regards to Hiroshima and Nagasaki the plan was simply to cause so much collateral damage and death to force and end to the war. Again women and children were killed indiscriminately.

I am not condoning this action, and the Allies were reluctant to employ it, and today it remains morally grey for some for warfare; but the Allies believed they had no other way to succinctly bring the war to an end. Their intent for the indiscriminate bombing which included all ages of civilians was to stop the war at whatever cost and thus alleviate the overall continuing casualties.

I simply say this to show that not so long ago the Allies of the word saw this as the only way to stop the evil spread of the Axis powers.

Truman's words,
"If they do not now accept our terms, they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth. Behind this air attack will follow sea and land forces in such numbers and power as they have not yet seen and with the fighting skill of which they are already well aware

Indiscriminate annihilation is what humans do. I would expect a God that created a universe from nothing would have other options.

Last edited by carbon12; 07/08/19.