Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
The term itself does not describe human behaviour or explain how or why decisions are made. It's just a reference to something, which is why the free will debate has spanned centuries.

It only describes an aspect of the nature of man. And I would argue is necessary in sustaining the "I-thou" relationship which is a basis of Western thought.

Again. Free will does not consider how or why decisions are made. But before we can make a decision we must have the ability to make a decision. Free will is concerned with the nature of that ability.

The brain of a Butterfly can make decisions, a computer can select between a set of options based on the given criteria. Making decisions is not a matter of will.

I have seen a number of skeptics allege that there is no such thing as free will. The individual is simply incapable of making a free will choice as he is bound by his circumstances, training, upbringing, culture and he didn’t get what he really wanted for his birthday.

What a pity..... simply a stick in the stream of life.... pushed around by circumstance.

You can use the term free will if you like but as a common reference it simply does nothing to explain how or why decisions are made.

Nobody is claiming that we cannot make decisions.

Obviously we can.

So can any animal that has a central nervous system and a brain.

The point being that the term 'free will' tells us nothing about the behaviour of humans or other animals. There is far more to behaviour, how it is driven or decided than what the simplistic term 'free will' can convey.....which is in fact, not much.

Again, nobody argues that we cannot make decisions. The issue is with the how and why of decision making.