Smoke, I wasn't speaking about the lower back muscles, I was speaking about the lower spine. Perhaps I should have been more clear, I thought I was. THAT IS one of the weakest links on the human body. Hitting the lower legs through that weak link is unnecessarily dangerous. You want to risk it, rock on.

As to one man's opinion (it's FAR from one man's opinion), when you're 59 (yes, I know you personally are older), have made this a life-long study and practice, injury free, can still bench over 400lbs lbs, and have done Yoga for 45 years and are one of the most flexible, strong people you'll ever meet, get back to me. You ever have a 620lb Squat? Not all opinions are created equally.

There are MUCH smarter ways to strengthen the lower back muscles without stressing the weak link, the lower spine.

Gym habits/mythology die hard.

As I said, just trying to introduce a better way to think about this for older guys. If what you're doing is working for you, that's great, after all, you're trying to stay in shape. And it doesn't sound like you're doing "Cross Fit", one of the other worst possible things for an over 30 body!

Couldn't resist that other can of worms... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery