So, i was posting a while back about prepping for an elk hunt. Hunt is done.

My buddy and I hunted 1st Rifle in CO. I shot a cow the first day, he shot a bull the 2nd day.

My cow was taken at 10,500' and deep into a big burned area. Crossing those deadfalls is a special kind of he11.

Packed out a hind quarter and straps/loins first trip out with my gear. Next day I came back and got both fronts and the remaining hind (she was a young cow...bigger than a calf, but not a huge cow). Coming back through that burn was just nasty. Downslope on the way out with weight and crossing those trees, with snow in the mix, that was enlightening.

Good news is...my physical prep paid off. Altitude definitely had my pulse quicker and breathing a bit harder than at home at 500' above sea level, but I feel like I handled it well. Shot my cow late in the day on Day 1, so hunted all day, then did a pack out to end things that day. Another pack trip the next day, and then on the third day, back to 11,100 to help my buddy get his bull out.

So....my prep work seems to have paid off. Yeah, I got winded and tired. That comes with hiking and packing weight at altitude. But I got it done, wasn't trashed in the process, either. Felt pretty good on the mornings after each day, so I'll take all that as a win. An elk on my first day of elk hunting...ever....was pretty cool, too. I'm sure I'm doomed to years of unfilled tags in penance..... wink