Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Some folks believe that they know. Which is not the same as knowing.

You are correct......

Believing means that you have chosen a truth, but ‘knowing’ means that you are certain about that truth.
Believing always leaves room for doubt, but ‘knowing’ leads to confidence.
Believing is blind trust, while ‘knowing’ is trusting with awareness.

So, I know that I believe in the God of the Bible...

Chosen a truth? Something should be proven to be true....in which case there is no need to 'choose the truth' because it has been clearly shown to be true.

What you mean is choose a faith, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc....even then it's not a matter of choice, but conviction.

What you call 'knowing' is faith, not factual knowledge.

Nor is conviction the same as choice. they are two different things. You don't choose to be convinced, you are either convinced by whatever is being presented, or you are not....there may be a variety of reasons for a conviction, or lack of it.

So what is the argument? We are stating the same.........you originally said...

"Some folks believe that they know. Which is not the same as knowing." (see above)

I did say you are correct...did I not?

Since you stated your idea of believing vs knowing.... I stated my three ideas about believing vs knowing...and I'll expand to make crystal clear...

1st meaning.... Believing means that you have chosen a truth...to me that is the TRUTH... I cannot prove it...and I have FAITH that it is the TRUTH... ‘knowing’ means that you are certain about that truth.....and I am certain.

2nd meaning... Believing always leaves room for doubt, but ‘knowing’ leads to confidence....another idea, simple as can be.

3rd meaning... Believing is blind trust, while ‘knowing’ is trusting with awareness....the last idea....seems simple too.

Please don't try to muddy the waters... Leave out conviction vs choice, as we already discussed that a few months ago....

'Chosen' a truth implies that what you have 'chosen' is in fact true and factual.

As that is not necessarily the case, you could be wrong, the distinction lies between faith, believing that what you have is true and factual, and what is actually true and factual regardless of what people believe.

And again, we don't choose to be convinced. The process of conviction is more complex than 'choice.'