Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Originally Posted by antlers
I think it’s likely that the overwhelming majority of people who’ve walked away from Christianity did not walk away from anything that had anything to do with the essentials of the faith.

I would propose that people have not walked away from Christianity but rather walked away from the stifling dogma of organized religion and the "church". Some, yes. Most? Who can say? "Stifling dogma" can be taken to mean that the church is sticking to sound doctrine and is not being seduced by modern liberal interpretations of a church's mission; or, it may just be an excuse people use for not participating in church. They may believe, but they'd rather work, hunt, fish, golf, or whatever on Sunday. And they darn sure don't want to put any money in the collection plate.

The church has let people down, not the Word. You are correct that the Word has never let people down. However, I would say that people have let the church down, not the other way around. Name one human organization that has not eventually lost sight of its original purpose to some extent. Governments, Corporations, hospitals, universities, you name it. Human beings are fallible, get used to it. Christians included, myself included. Again I say, if people were all that great we wouldn't need a Savior.

The only conclusion that can be reached from the myriad of self proclaimed expert responses to the OP is that too many Christians are more interested in having a debate about biblical theology vs living the Word. In other words, it is much easier to talk the talk than walk the walk. Of course it is. Paul said it long ago, paraphrased: I do the things I don't want to do, and fail to do the things I do want to do. In today's parlance, Paul said "I don't walk the talk." One more time: That's why we need a Savior.

By the way, who has proclaimed themselves an expert?

And again, the OP must be disappointed that that the vast majority of responders failed to address the original issue put forth. Christians can walk and chew gum at the same time. The OP's issue has been addressed, as well as some subsequent theological issues. So what? Have you never seen any other Campfire thread stray from its original subject?

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.