Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by IZH27
As I’ve previously said, I’m not very familiar with Unitarian doctrine. Is your statement consistent with Unitarianism?
Maybe so, I can't make much sense of the trinity thing, and I do not believe Jesus claimed to be God. I believe he claimed to and did in fact speak for God.

As for the Ebionites, almost all we know about them was written by their enemies. And what their enemies say about them indicates to me that they were much closer to original Christianity than the Catholics of the last many centuries and Southern Baptists of today are.

I believe there were additions and redactions and outright forgeries in the compilation of the New Testament but I'm positive that Matthew, Jesus, James, and the writer of Revelation managed to get their message through. I do believe it quite possible the first 2 chapters of Matthew were additions not written until a later time when it became important to emphasize a virgin birth.

Are you by chance Roman Catholic?

I appreciate you answering questions about Unitarianism. It’s one sectthat I have not studied. I was surprised to find that it was part of the counter reformation and that the movement has the long history that it does.

From what I’m reading, in addition to not accepting the doctrine of the trinity, Unitarianism denies original sin.

When thinking about that and the idea of salvation how does a Unitarian look at the saving work of Christ, salvation, how salvation is defined? How does one know that they are saved?

As to Roman Catholicism, I am not. My 56 years has been an interesting pathway from an Ana Baptist upbringing to Lutheranism. I am a member of a LCMS congregation.