Always interpret scripture with scripture. Compare passages to determine the truth.
Was Jesus telling the rich young ruler that he needed works for salvation? Compare that to this:

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

That's 100% salvation by faith alone. If this is true, then it's impossible that Jesus was telling the young ruler he needed to earn it.
When Jesus said 'truly, truly' before a statement (or verily or amen, depending on the translation), he meant 'Listen up. This is important'. He said that John 5:24 is important so pay attention. He never said 'truly truly you need to work your way in'. He said BELIEVE to get in. Nothing more or less.
Jesus knew where the young ruler's heart was - on his money. Jesus tested him to force him to choose - faith or money. He didn't have the faith to be saved. Jesus later said that it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to heaven. The needle part isn't some small gate. It's impossible and Jesus meant just that. But, while it's impossible, God can make the impossible possible. In spite of being rich, a person can get to heaven through faith.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.