Originally Posted by Hastings
Even though Antlers and I disagree quite a bit on Christianity I do believe he has made a valid point when he has suggested going back to original 1st century Christianity for answers. A time much closer to Jesus' life on earth and less clouded by misconceptions or even lies of whosoever might seek to explain things. I might suggest the sect know as the Ebionites were the first Christians and a good write-up on them can be found if you Google vexen.co.uk ebionites, and find the article 1st Century Ebionites The Original Christians.

I see why you are interested in the Ebionites. There are some striking similarities, as they also denied the deity of Jesus and rejected Paul and claimed he was a false apostle. The Ebionites denied the virgin birth and the substitutionary atonement and believed Jesus was the natural son of Mary and Joseph, that Jesus was a mere man adopted by God. As they were vegetarians, they were also opposed to animal sacrifices.

New Testament Christianity is older and more accurate than the heresy of the Ebionite sect. They twisted scripture and altered Christian text to fit their own beliefs and teachings and created their own Jesus stories after the New Testament gospels were written. They even used those same gospels to fit their own narratives and rejected core Christian teachings.

Thankfully, Ebionism didn’t last long and finally fizzled out. Ebionism was as heretical as are some of your “Christian” views.