Originally Posted by krp
Nobody has doctrine right or ever will... not Adam or Moses or David or Paul, you, me or anyone else. If there are 4 billion christians in this world there are 4,000,000,001 different 'doctrines'.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but in depth study of theology doesn't get you closer to true doctrine than a 4 year old singing 'Jesus loves me this I know'... actually it takes you away.

Theology for self growth is fine if that helps you. But few can keep it there, they have invested so much time and effort, they can't help but defend their 'doctrine' publicly... sway, challenge, debate, judge others by it.

Just find your own place with God, let others find theirs.

Kent

To the extent that you’re saying that our efforts to proper understanding of God & His W/word can tempt us toward ungodly pride I’d say amen that is true.

The flip side of that is the ironic point and I’m not “dunking on you” here but the fact is you’re doing exactly what you say is so bad about others.

You’re judging, you’re universalizing your experience and telling everyone else what’s right based upon your experience and opinions. Sounds to me like you’re literally doing everything you say others are guilty of.

My point here isn’t that I’m right and you’re wrong, but that there is no way to get around a certain (evil) pride against which we must pray because we’re fallen men.

So we can’t shrug and say “thanks for your special revelation Lord but when I study it I’m tempted to pride” and “so I’ll remain ignorant like a child”.

Christ wasn’t instructing us to remain ignorant, but to come with empty hands, “nothing in my hands I bring; simply to thy cross I cling”. The cross has a meaning; “Jesus loves me; this I know” has a meaning.

We all know that the definition of “love” in our culture is perverted… I’m sure that’s one thing we agree on. So vocabulary and definitions matter deeply.

This is my prayer for all of us whether people agree with me or not. That they would know the risen Lord and what His definition of love is… not mine or yours or the cultures.