Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
Yes, Pascal theory is based on hell avoidance, and also I believe the love of God.....I believe hell is a purgatory of sorts that cleanses people of their sins before they go to heaven.

There are verses that say otherwise.

Even assuming that you are right, being thrown into hell for length of time over a minor issue like a lack of conviction when there is no justification - which is perfectly reasonable - is hardly going to endear those who are suffering to the one who put them there.

Believe or suffer the consequences is a rule that a tyrant might impose, not a God of love.

I don't agree....lack of believing is not minor in my book...

>>>>Believe or suffer the consequences is a rule that a tyrant might impose, not a God of love.<<<<

This is my take....I think that God doesn’t demand obedience, but seeks a relationship in hopes to inspire our loving others, like God loves us. This is what truly leads to the best of worlds. God, like any loving parent, is opposed to immoral behaviors that violate the rights of others, but knows threats of punishment only deter destruction and not inspire true change. A tyrant could care less about your rights and your freedom. A tyrant could care less that you will be more of an authentic person when you make choices not out of fear of consequences, but because the voice behind such guidance is God's love.

Last edited by Raspy; 10/24/22. Reason: spelling

Illegitimi non carborundum