Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Something that is true and factual, by definition, is true and factual regardless of what you, or I, or anyone believes or disbelieves.
Who would it then be that determines that the "something" is true and factual?

Nobody can choose something to be objectively true or false.
If this were to be true, who can make such a choice?

Does 'Allah' exist because millions of Muslims 'choose' to believe in the existence of Allah?
Why not? Where would Allah exist - in what realm - determined by whom?

Truths are demonstrable and testable, faith is neither.

How are you going to demonstrate and test history?

Not all can be repeated – we have historians doing investigations to try and determine the likelihood of the accuracy of the information. They compare with other writings and whatever other archaeological data there may be – still no guarantees though.

One-off events by definition cannot be replicated and tested.

Some can, some can’t. If they can’t then there is no reason to believe that they are true.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

In the Declaration of Independence it says that "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."; do you disagree with that assertion?.

Absolutely. This is not the way to determine truth. It's an invalid circular argument: "I know it's true because it evidently is".

Just because some things can be seen, demonstrated, and tested doesn't mean everything has to be, in order to be true.

If it can’t then there’s no reason to believe that it’s true. The time to believe that something is true is when it has been proven to be true.

"If you can't show it, then you don't know it."

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?