Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Truths are demonstrable and testable, faith is neither.

How are you going to demonstrate and test history?

Not all can be repeated – we have historians doing investigations to try and determine the likelihood of the accuracy of the information. They compare with other writings and whatever other archaeological data there may be – still no guarantees though.

One-off events by definition cannot be replicated and tested.

Some can, some can’t. If they can’t then there is no reason to believe that they are true.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

If it can’t then there’s no reason to believe that it’s true. The time to believe that something is true is when it has been proven to be true.

"If you can't show it, then you don't know it."

Nonsense. There's a lot that I have done, that you have done, that others have done in their lives, that can't be documented and that there aren't any eyewitnesses to. Doesn't mean those things didn't happen. They may be insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but they are real, they are truth.

It's unfortunate that you weren't around during Jesus' ministry, because apparently you only believe things you can see for yourself. After the resurrection, you probably would have been like Thomas, who said that he would not believe unless he could see and feel the nail scars in Jesus' hands. For Thomas, the extraordinary claim that Jesus was alive required extraordinary evidence, and he got it. Thomas was lucky enough to have had that experience while alive on earth, but the rest of us have to rely on his testimony as to the nail scars. I believe Thomas. I don't believe you.
Well said.

Illegitimi non carborundum