Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by pointer
Thanks. To steal Dan Adairs line "I'm the fittest fat guy I know". And I am Fat...

grin Same here. Hence the diet.

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar......"

Those are the first 14 words from Greg Glassman's "Fitness in 100 Words". That is the proper diet for those who don't need to lose weight. For those who do, you need to lop off the last seven words for the most part.

Not to mention the word "vegetables".....it is miss leading

Potato, carrots, corn and a few more should be avoided if weight loss is your goal

"little starch" is the key here. Small new potatoes are a lot lower in starch than a big idaho, per ounce, disregarding the size difference. Carrots do have some starch but are otherwise super healthy and have a lot of fiber which offsets the starch. Corn is not the most desirable vege, for sure, but some fresh cobs in the summer won't blimp you out.

Some say "Don't eat anything white", IE sugar, breads, cakes, rice, and potatoes. For weight loss these are best avoided totally. When re-introduced, choose whole grain breads and rices and follow Calvin's advice regarding portion control on taters and the like.

If you are under the false assumption that not super-sizing fast-food drive thru meals and eating smaller hot pockets and "diet" pizzas will lead to weight loss, you will be greatly disapointed.