Your last sentence should tell you something. I'll revise the preface to my recommendation. If you are normally a rural person doing normal rural things and find them difficult/taxing or find yourself needing to be careful lest you "throw your back out", refer to my earlier recommendation.

My rural inlaws think it's unusual to carry railroad ties around the yard, split a stacked/heaped pickup load of wood without putting the maul down, or carry the washer and dryer from the truck bed to the front door landing. But they don't do any barbell work.

Lots of folks seem to think heavy barbell work will interfere with rather than enhance other physical activity, including (especially) so-called "cardio" work. I've found the payout is worth way more than the investment.

Folks seem reluctant to take the 6 months needed to build a permanent strength base, for reasons that perplex me or are demonstrably false. About the only valid reason I can think of is that they don't like how Carhartt B159 pants look (not much else fits over an average squatter's thighs without being 4" too big in the waist), and don't care to update the ol' wardrobe. So let's hear yours.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Moose, you work up to it. I've done a few centuries (100 miles) and my normal rides are ~ 30 miles, so 40 isn't a big deal. However, it's a hard route we took. I finish a ride exhilarated and that feeling carries into the next day, but I was definitely a bit whipped last night.

Cycling is an incredible low-impact cardio workout guys. Best thing I discovered in middle life by a long shot... Super fun. Out in the clean air, seeing sights, covering ground, hauling ass. The "kit" for it is admittedly goofy as it gets.

Vek, I'm not a desk jockey, I've done the rural thing for 25 years. I should start adding some of the "stuff" that I do to my exercise reports. Gets pretty physical out in the sticks quite often. smile Anyway, it doesn't leave me feeling like I need to be lifting heavy things for sport.