Originally Posted by smokepole
Yep, the thing is though, deterioration of physical fitness is not linear with age, it starts to noticeably accelerate some time after 50. Gradually at first, and it takes more effort to maintain. Unless you're an ageless wonder like Battue.

Moral: Smoke 'em while you can.

Ha!!!! Well, come in from the gym and hear my name ringing out. Smoke nailed it, well only part unfortunately. Around 55 the accelerator started to kick in and the change was more than noticable. Especially these last couple years. I.E.70-72. Not only physically, but the blood test numbers are slipping. BP is still good at 105/115 over 70/75 on average. Glucose numbers good. Then you get into creatinine clearance or kidney function and you can see the decline from really good to nothing to brag about. Cholesterol numbers have always been borderline high, but with excellent HDL numbers, I don't fret it all that much and the Doc agrees. Tried statins and they killed my quads and calfs. Doc is a friend and he said it was in my head. Then he eventually went on them. Guess what? I told him it surely must be in his head.

In fact, for the last couple weeks I have been cutting down on the protein re: kidneys because of it, along with drinking more water. Will be interesting to see if it has any benefits.

As mentioned previously, the injuries don't heal up as quick or never return completely. Knees are not what I would like along with some hip weakness. Not all that thrilled about the changes, but then I look at some old Buds who let themselves slide and it is worth the effort.

Some of our posters really hit it extremely hard and it's a thin plank from excellent functional strength to abuse.I hope they don't live to regret it. Have fun guys, stick with it, but remember for the most part you only get one of each.

10,500 would kick my azz. In some of my better days, I was running a 7:15 to 30 easy jog. Went out to Crested Butte for a vaca and did a little running. 11:15 to 30. Burned it when I got back home, but eventually, the red blood cells came home also.

Addition: Good luck and stay safe.

Addition 2: One of my best buds is a 47 YO gal and she is starting to refer to herself as old. She soon will be if she keeps thinking it.

Last edited by battue; 09/06/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler