Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by KenMi
Getting back to the original topic (12 pages ago), I don't really think there is as much of a problem as perceived. One type of factory ammo won't chamber, and the Vmax that are loaded past max OAL won't chamber.

For a non-custom rifle, the chamber should be within SAAMI specs. Being out of spec means it wasn't cut right. If the chamber's not cut right, I'd be wondering what else wasn't done right. Once he starts shooting it, it's his problem to deal with, not the dealer's.

There is not a SAAMI spec for the 243AI cartridge. AI reamers are cut to the buyers spec, not a SAAMI spec.

With the info posted so far I do not see it as a problem other than a snug chamber if he wants to use factory 243 ammo in the rifle, even at that there is at least one brand that does chamber. Cooper has already offered to open up the chamber a bit more if he wants that done. With the group showing on the test target I would shoot it first before sending it back to have the chamber opened.

I have a Rem 700 in 243 that had the same issue with having to seat the bullets even deeper than what is shown in his picture in order to chamber the cartridge. As far as I was concerned it just gave me more ability to chase the lands as the erosion ate them away. The standard 243 eats away the lands very quickly and I imagine that the 243AI will do so even faster. If you have the opportunity to borescope a 243 with 1000 1200 rounds through it that will ruin your day.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.