Peter;
Good morning to you sir, I see it's mid-morning for you in the Pilbara area - we're just seeing the end of yesterday for you as I type.

The bug situation here in southern BC is actually quite good because we're a semi-desert region. Anywhere one sees the three types of sage cousins - that is Antelope Brush, Rabbit Brush and Sage Brush, as well as Ponderosa Pines, then it's pretty dry country.

Now that said, if one is near a mountain lake or slough then for sure the mosquitoes can get a tad out of hand, but here in our yard for instance they're few and far between.

Towards the end of a very dry summer sometimes the Yellow Jacket and Black Hornets will become quite pesky - especially if one is trying to grill meat or have a drink outdoors. Some years they're persistently nettlesome enough that I look forward to this stuff arriving - which of course kicks them square in the britches. wink
[Linked Image]

As one travels north in BC the variety and intensity of the bugs does increase somewhat for sure. Again in alpine meadows where there's still water they can be quite prolific given the right conditions, but if it's breezy then they're not too too bad.

Mt. Revelstoke country
[Linked Image]

Our crew out enjoying a day with sufficient breeze up around Revelstoke.
[Linked Image]

Anyway sir, hopefully that was useful information about our area of the world.

Oh, although this doesn't compete with Big Stick or GW's duck photos, we saw this dapper lookin' gent on one trip up a river valley just west of here, the Ashnola River. It was a dull day and he wasn't really sitting still for us, but anyway...
[Linked Image]

We see these cute little guys up there too from time to time. He'd fit into the palm of your hand - a pika.
[Linked Image]

The interesting thing about these little rascals is they don't hibernate per se, so they cut hay in summer and store it for winter feed. It's rather comical watching them pull the hay piles into their burrows when a rain storm blows in. I'm sure they find it less than amusing, but we like to watch them.

Lastly a view onto Boxcar Mountain from a wee bit up the road from the pika's dens on the shale slide.
[Linked Image]

All the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/03/16.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"