Best thread ever.

Back in the day when the rescue unit I was assigned to went to a call where the "patient was talking gibberish" and answering questions with the wrong answer, spouting off about irrelevant information etc. we called that "altered mental status".

Usually there were family members present and we would ask them if this was "normal behavior". If there was no one there to answer or if it wasn't normal we tried to talk the individual into going to the hospital (psychiatric ward).

Unfortunately sometimes these individuals wouldn't go in on their own, and you needed a police officer to paper them. That's when the rodeo starts. I've seen little old ladies with the strength of men toss the ambulance crews around like rag dolls.

But in the end they always went in, sometimes tied to the gurney mouth foaming. Always. Even the men. Always.

It's better for the family if the patient went in voluntarily, although as I said it's not necessary. . I hope you get the help you need Stick, I'm sure you can afford it.

But one thing I've learned in the end you can't "rationalize with the irrational." Remember you only have one post left today, don't waste it.

Good Talk.