ldmay375,

Here's hoping the real start of the Iditarod goes off without a hitch and they don't make the dogs wear masks on the trail out of Wasilla.

Whenever you get a chance, please tell the missionaries to continue spreading the truth about the .458 Winchester Magnum at this thread.

That feel for trajectory that Mike is talking about with 400-grainers: His 2000-2100 fps is a useful skill, whether with cast bullet or premium like the Woodleigh 400-gr PPSN.
Even though the great .458 WM+ can make the Woodleigh do 2600 fps, and the recommended impact velocity is only 2500 fps,
if you get a feel for that trajectory, velocity will be down to recommended past 50 yards, so that might be a useful skill for large varmints at longer ranges,
and plumb spectacular on smaller varmints at close range.

I am like you when it comes to using bullets less than 400 grains in the .458s and less than 350 grains in the .416s for large game.
For varmints I am plenty OK with 250- to 350-gr weights approaching Mach 3. More to come.

Old maximal SAAMI .458 WM 400-grain loads can be easily topped for MV with 450-grainers in the .458 WM+: I have a good supply of the TSX and old North Fork bullets in that weight. More to come.

Some 500-gr business first, as inspiration for .458 experimenters.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.