Update on the progress of the Ruger Hawkeye African 458 WM, fired today with CEB BBW #13 450 grain monolithic solids.

The 2 powders used in today’s session were AA-2230 and Varget, because they had shown the greatest likelihood of reaching the target MV of 2300-2350 fps in the 23” barrel. All firing was from the bench, seated at 25 yds with rear peep sight. I continue to be pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of this barrel with the Ruger #1 barrel. Thanks to Sir Ron for the Varget suggestion - it works.

With AA-2230 MVs measured at about 10 yds uncorrected, 76.0 grains (MV = 2298 fps), 78.0 grains (MV = 2344 fps), 80.0 grains (MV = 2381 fps). Target MV achieved, accuracy excellent.

With Varget, using same bullet and MV measured at same distance 76.0 grains (MV = 2254 fps), 78.0 grains (MV = 2297 fps), 80.0 grains (MV = 2348 fps). I’ll probably use the AA-2230 load as it requires minimal compression to load 80 grains.

Small modification to the magazine box opening in the stock was the placement of a steel shim in front of the mag box backed by an aluminum spacer to prevent any movement of the box with recoil. Feeding is flawlessly smooth now, with a 375 H&H follower which locates the bullets very close to the centerline of the magazine.

I am ver pleased with the outcome of this rifle.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now