Originally Posted by John55
You guys are making my shoulder ache all over again! I used to get these velocities in my 450 Dakota and fully recall how unpleasant shooting them was! Glad I’m past that stage these days. If my 416s won’t get it done I’ll have to hunt other game. But it’s fun reading what all you guys are up to.
RIP, I still love my 375Wby but these days my hunting doesn’t need it’s fire power. Hate to say it but I think my days of hunting in Africa are over. Trophy importation will be getting worse and eventually might end completely for any of the Big 5.

John55,
Funny you say that.
With my .450 Dakota I settled on the 450-grain North Fork bullets at 2450 fps as preferred load.
When I emerged from my dark age of .458 WM neglect, I found that the .458 WM+ is capable of exactly that, with less recoil !
And where the .450 Dakota M98 Magnum holds 4 in the magazine, the .458 WM+ CZ 550 Magnum holds 6.
WIN WIN.

Sad about Africa. The elephants must be culled or they will multiply beyond the carrying capacity of their habitat.
Sport hunting gives them more value and reason to prevent their extinction than mere government culling.
WIN WIN again.
Obvious, I know, except to PETA idiots.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.