Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by EdM
I would never trade my 416 Rem M70 for a 458 Win. There is no comparison in versatility.

Sir EdM,

Would you like to elaborate on that since this is a thread on "The Great .458 Winchester Magnum...", and some of us believe a fair comparison could be attempted but that, all things considered, the .458 Win would win! I've already done such comparisons in an unbiased manner - no axe to grind - and have concluded that the .458 is the best all-around, given the choice of bullets from 250gr to 600, and at any speed possible from black powder vintage to today's best.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I want to qualify some of the above: I'm certainly not assuming that all on this thread believe as I do, but "some", and I think that would include Sir Ron. But my conclusions are not arrived at by feelings or emotions, but by facts. I'm very "hard-nose" in being objective. Some of my .458 Win loads are equivalent to BP loads: less than 2500 ft-lbs, while others are up to 6000+ ft-lbs: a 350gr TSX at 2780 fps/6005 ft-lbs as one example, etc, with dozens of loads in between.

And a lot of that has to do with the SAAMI "free bore" of the .458 Win Mag which easily makes it equivalent to or better than the .458 Lott.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 08/11/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus