Originally Posted by ldmay375
I am a fan of that rifle combination.
I often ponder upon a re-barrel of a Mark II or Hawkeye. I think the 416 Ruger barrel contour might work with a 20 or 21" barrel.

That seems like a great weather resistant and handy rifle.

The Hawkeye Alaskan contour at 20” would work in 458. My current Alaskan was rebored from 375 to 404 (0.423” groove diam). There’s sufficient wall thickness left out to the muzzle for a 458, but not for a threaded sight mounting, as I recently discovered. Easily solved problem by either using a rear NECG receiver mounted Ruger peep sight or a silver soldered RS base with a blade insert on the barrel.

For the hardcore Hawkeye fans, the Ruger factory RS is usable with a simple tapped and threaded steel mounting block. Will try that combination later next week on the 460 G&A -secured with Loctite Black Max 480- and will post some pics, if it survives under recoil.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now