Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Sir Woods presents the monster plains bison bull:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sir Woods,

Could you tell us where you shot the buffalo ?

I mean location of the herd of animals on the map.
Also a review of necropsy of the bullet wound track in the bull would be interesting, if you got a chance to observe that,
or simply where the bullet entered the bison and where the bullet stopped,
when you get time, please.

Sir Ron,
The bison was taken in South Dakota from a herd of approx 4,000 on the 60,000 acres used in the Dances with Wolves movie. I recall the ranch was called Triple U. Last I heard, Turner recently added it to his property portfolio. Being aged at 10 and a half when I took him, he would have been a 4 and a half year old bull in the movie so I shot a movie star. Triple U's widow owner would allow hunters every year to take out the oldest herd bulls for a fee, I paid $1200. He was mounted by Jim Field, who did a lot of the SCI member mounts at the time in Oz and this half shoulder mount won first place in that category at the next SCI Convention there. The drop shoulder and legs in gallop as well as the open mouth with teeth exposed was Jim's idea and make the mount really stand out from the front, apart from sheer size.

The Woodleigh did ball up to some degree but was stopped by a neck shot. The audible thump was something that can only be explained by the guide who after stating that he had seen everything in cartridges, delivered the oration "Good Lord" when the cricket bat loud whack came back from the bullet strike. Gravity did the rest.

I have written before that there are 3 commonly noted stages in bullet behaviour, most hunters have seen stage one, where everything either side of the .270 behaves similarly on the common game those cartridges and various calibers are used until you get to stage 2 which is the .375 H&H. At that point you can see a visual difference in bullet impact and the honest summary of "Thump" can be noted. When you hit Stage 3 you are using .458 caliber and the degrees of thump are more noted with larger animals. When the game is heavy, meaning at least a ton in weight, a tremendous thump that demonstrates impact is noted whereas if you cull a lot of half ton and smaller animals that same degree of thump is less distinguishable to the larger stage 1 and 2 cartridges.

I wish I had more experience than I do to solidify those noted results, but that takes more money than the opinion is worth.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.