Sir Larry,

Good work. Good to hear the 400-gr Shock Hammers are going to Oz for bovines.
I will surely be using them on anything and everything. One planet, one bullet.

Thanks for your fancy measurement from base to start of ogive.
I would say you are within +/- 0.001" on that too.
I had not even thought to try measuring that.
I have no gadgets to get a good measure, just eyeball, caliper, and slug&rod methods with dummies into the lands.
Hardly a worry with the .458 WinMag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shipping the bullets with remnant cutting oil on them is a relatively new thing at Hammer Bullets.
The first bullets I got from them for .458WinMag, .44-40, and 9mm (thinking brown bear pocket pistol with that last one)
had no oil on them.
They seem to be a different color, more orange but still shiny.
The oil coating on the new bullets is good for shipping and storage, will prevent the color change.
This is not to say that the old orange ones are tarnished.
Just that the new oil-coated ones probably still have the same color as just off the machines.
I will degrease them before loading, by the batch.

The major diameter of the PDR bands is .458" at the summits, and about 0.448" in the valleys, approximately.
They will have a nice, low start pressure without needing oil to grease the skids and lower velocity and pressure,
as Sir John said.
The .458 WinMag is not one of those over-bore, high-pressure, tight-throated rat calibers that might benefit from oiled bullets.

Length of ogive ahead of full bearing diameter is 1.440" - 0.799" = 0.641".
Being well below half the BOL for that measure bodes well for accuracy, me thinks.

That full-bearing segment ahead of the first PDR trough will make a good grabber to start the bullet spinning at the end of the long-leade-only throat.
Pressure and fouling relief by PDR bands.
Seems to be the better mousetrap has been designed again by Hammer Bullets.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.