Originally Posted by JFE
Sir Ron, this thread continues to provide useful insights into so many issues about the 458 Win Mag. Thanks for your continued efforts.

I had read about isolated ignition problems in the early years but I did not realise that this was a persistent, widespread problem (in Africa) over many years. Shelf life of 458 Win Mag ammo was a huge concern as savvy users insisted on freshly produced ammo. This raises a few questions:

1. Did other cartridges suffer the same problem or was it isolated to the 458 Win Mag. You only ever hear of 458 Win Mag ammo problems.

Might have something to do with volume of ammo produced by yayhoos at the defective factory and
the volume of that same ammo subsequently abused by yayhoos in the field.
It was a popular cartridge until the yayhoos screwed the pooch.

2. I suspect it had to do with powder compression and perhaps the primers used that might have lead to ignition problems. In those days magnum rifle primers probably weren’t widely available and more to the point, did Winchester even make a magnum rifle primer back in the day?

Defective powder lots and defective loading techniques by the yayhoos.
Reports abounded of factory loads with mixtures of ball and extruded powders in different cartridges in the same 20-count box of ammo.
Reports have been heard of factory ammo machines run amuck and spilling as much powder as was loaded into the case.
Yayhoos take smoke breaks and have to get away from the line now and then.
Used to be the WLR primer from Winchester was for standard and magnum loads, including .458 WinMag.
Now they have the WLRM for magnum applications.

These days there are hotter primers for improved ignition and more suitable powders that can be loaded without compression, with some also being temperature stable. Add to this a wide range of better bullets and the 458 Win Mag is a better choice today than at any time in the past.

Amen, Sir Joe.
No flies on the .458 WinMag nowadays.
A 2006 "Heavy Magnum" .458 WinMag load from Hornady was advertised for 500-gr RN InterBond at 2260 fps MV.
Ganyana tested the ammo and chronographed it at 2230 fps (instrumental I presume) in a Zimbabwean .458 WinMag.
Funny thing Ganyana said was that Hornady told him the shelf life of the HEAVY MAGNUM loads was only six months.
After that period of time no guarantees. Ha ha ha.
That was a short-lived offering by Hornady factory, pun intended.

The 64 year-old WRAC factory .458 WinMag ammo that I tested, made in 1957, was still doing +2080 fps with 500-grainer,
same as the H. P. White test of same factory load that was published in 1961.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.