Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by swiftshot
I took my Ruger Lott-the one with the Krieger and the soldered on open sights to the range again for a final 50yd zero test.It shot right in the bullseye and is ready for a 3 day bear hunt next week.I am using a light load of 67grs H4895 behind a 550gr Woodleigh soft.If I shoot the bear I will post a pic on this thread of bear and all in celebration of the 458 Lott.

Ah, yes, I remember that rifle well, from the anchor baby's website.
It is a Ruger RSM .458 Lott that was possibly scrubbed into a smoothbore, hence the Krieger barrel.
swiftshot = shootaway
How was that done ? Got rid of the recoil plate contraption and put a Remington-style-washer primary recoil lug between Krieger barrel and action,
and a secondary lug on the barrel ?
I don't recall if that was ever explained.
But I do recall that the screwed on sights had to be soldered after they loosened.
I just wonder if swiftshot is going to leave the barrel fouled after the zero check, before his bear hunt,
or will he give it a good scrubbing with JB paste ?

67 grains of H4895 with a 550-gr Woodleigh in the .458 Lott is 1 grain less powder than the starting load for a .458 WinMag.
No worries, H4895 is approved for reduced loads down to 60% of the maximum load for the cartridge.
swiftshot can go down to 46.2 grains of H4895.
I would recommend he use a filler with his reduced load in the .458 Lott.
There is going to be more than 0.3" height of air space over the powder, with 67 grains of H4895 in the .458 Lott.
68 grains of H4895 is not compressed in the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum with 550-gr Woodleigh RNSN.

Q: What would the .458 Winchester Magnum say to the .458 Lott if cartridges could talk, as if brother to brother ?

A: "If hating me helps you hate yourself less, then I am there for you. That's what family is for."

Now that was funny as heck! laugh

Semper Fi