Sir Jerry,
You raked that buffalo. Possibly a terminal impact of the expanded petals on a humerus in the offside shoulder knocked off half the petals ?
Anytime I try to make a rule of thumb regarding bullet behavior, I hammer it home by smashing my thumb with the hammer.

As you were.

Buffalo Bore Ammo

400-gr TSX and Hornady brass for .458 WM are not unobtainable, and no more expensive than any factory ammo nowadays.
Might ship same day as ordered if they are not swamped by orders. Pace yourself guys, try not to hoard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tim Sundles is smart like a fox. He knows he could easily load that 400-gr TSX well over 2250 fps in the SAAMI .458 WM.
But he knows that if his tight and slick little 18-incher is safe with 2250 fps, well that is fast enough, for selling to the public,
the vast majority of whom will get 2250 fps or better in their 24" factory rifles.
And that is just the sort of load that Finn Aagaard and Phil Shoemaker crowed about being better than any 500-grain soft nose in the .458 WM.
That is a WIN-WIN Winchester load, regarding both lawyers and gun gurus.

[Linked Image]

I wonder what rifle was used by Tim Sundles on that bear.
I suspect anything from .338-06 to .458 WM would be ideal for that kind of big, soft target.

Hopefully I will soon have some of those .458-400gr TSX in hand to see if they have the same nose as the 450-gr and 500-gr TSX.
Hard to tell by the photographs which might show different meplat sizes.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.