Originally Posted by gunner500

Sir Ron, you bet, i have four deer tags left over in Arkansas, i hit a nice 8pt with Saint Bagwell cut paper patches wrapped around a 475gr bullet from my 44-77 last Thursday, 60 yard shot in the clearcut, in left shoulder out right ribs, DRT, i cast these bullets soft at 40/1 alloy after thinking about what Digital Dan said and speaking with Kirk at Shiloh, if i head after heavier game i can certainly cast harder, all that said and four tags left, i'm headed to tag out tomorrow with the mighty 458 WM+, it's going to be a tough daylight to dark hunt, i'll report the outcome, one buck and three doe await the 450gr TSX's you gave me, 2400+ fps will give me a three hundred yard reach.

Sir Jerry,
I hope you have a team with machinery to get those carcasses processed or you are going to kill yourself with 4 deer in a day.
Send pictures !

I got skunked Saturday and rained out Sunday last.
I share the hunting privileges on the farm with a father and son team that are family friends of my old buddy.
He passed on and his daughter sees to his old buddies.
The father and son duo are quite accomplished in deer hunting and firearms.
I was there first, but they have taken over the place quite nicely.

So I was quite puzzled as to why the young son, barely 20 y.o., was shooting MatchKing 150-grainers in his .308 WCF.
Handloaded by his father !
Component bullets being hard to come by is the only idea I have about it, even though that is not a good excuse.
Heck, shoot cast bullets at slower velocity and closer range !

But it made for some interesting activities Saturday with the young fellow hunting deer on the south side of the farm,
while I stayed on the north side.
The young fellow shot his first deer at 7 y.o. with a .30-06 from a ground blind with his Grandfather's assist.
Below is the "Young Fellow" or "Other Hunter" sharing the place with me Saturday last.
He said he has done most of his shooting at longish ranges, and I guess that is the reason he has been getting by with it,
on perfect broadsides at 150 to 250 yards.
Saturday he killed a doe with one such shot.
Then about 45 minutes later he shot a buck at 260 yards, quartering away.
Hit behind the left ribs with bullet aimed for the vitals, the deer did not go down,
and a second rapid shot hit the deer in the left ham as it was moving away.
Thus was the buck gutshot and hamshot:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Look closely and you will see the entrance wound on the neck, the third shot with 150-grain MatchKing,
that finished the buck 5 hours after wounding, as it lay in the woods, not quite bled out, unable to get up.

What follows below is a tale of travail with a whitetail buck and a bullet that brings no luck,
no matter how well placed.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.