Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I started reading this thread out of curiosity and it pushed me to search out a 458 WM. I now have a late 70’s vintage ruger 77RS tang safety enroute to my ffl. Hopefully I didn’t make a bad choice there.

My plan is to use a 400-450 for everything as I’m planning to use the 300 tsx in my 375 so will go a bit heavier here.

Looks like I better start researching this thread further for load ideas but if anyone has a good one I would appreciate the guidance.

The pictured tasco will come off immediately as I have a vari-x 1.75-6x32 sitting loose that will get the call atleast for now.

[Linked Image]
(bigger picture needed)

MallardAddict,
Welcome to the Square Table, pick your Sir Name for Knighthood.

Great rifle and scope combo you are getting set up there.
I am saving an old Leupold 1.75-6X36mm ER with heavy duplex reticle for a .458 WM too.
That is another ideal .458 scope for one and done.

What powder and what bullet weight to start with ?
If you are leaving it to me to specify: AA-2230 at 72.0 to 80.0 grains with any 400-ish grainer, and any COL you like.

The .458 WinMag is probably the most versatile cartridge in the world for loading.
About any fast to medium burn rate powder and any bullet from 250-gr to 600-gr (or heavier, just for kicks)
can be used in the .458 WinMag in some excellent combination.
Any powder good in a .223/5.56 will be outstanding in the .458 WinMag.
Just pick one and go to town with it.

Got any preferences ?

[Linked Image]

Just kidding.
With all the lies told against the .458 Winchester Magnum, a little levity in this vein is only fair.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.