I understand your dismay at the drivel that you reference. Could it be that those writers can write but cannot read? There are many such examples in life, but the ignorance shown by some people in the shooting field is hard to understand in an era where so many facts are available with just a bit of research on the Internet.

One of my favorite examples of this is the erroneous answers to the common firearms forum question about shooting 45-70 ammo in a rifle chambered for the 45-90 cartridge. The answer is YES, it is OK, and that was one reason that I bought my 1886 45-90 rather than and 1886 45-70. It seems to me that many lever gun "experts" skipped that part of their education and are just repeating what other uninformed "experts" have said.

A related attitude is that if you want more performance from your .458 rifle, buy a .458 Win Mag! Dummies, if I wanted a .458 Win Mag I would have bought one.
Also, just because so many folks/sissies never learned to properly shoot a curved metal butt plate and recommend I cut mine off and put on a shotgun pad, does not mean that I will ruin the lines of one of my rifles!

Vent over!

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/