About the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum chambering of the .458 WM+:
Originally Posted by gunner500

... the cartridge is indeed an "Entity" of it's own, from back porch coons raiding the dog bowl to a 12,000 lb charging Bull Elephant, it's all nicely covered.

WELL SAID !

Looks like I need to fire those 450-gr TSX using 24" barrel and 3.56" COL limit with AA-2230 fps.
A 25" Shilen barrel and 3.68" COL with 84 grains of AA-2230 previously yielded 2457 fps velocity at 5 yards, corrected to MV = 2469 fps.
That was in Hornady brass with F215 primer, and no signs of excessive pressure.
It was a 100% fill with drop tube and no compression at the 3.68" COL.
I will use Daisy the Ruger No. 1 .458 WM with 24" barrel at the next outing.
She is the standard .458 WM+ rifle to which all others may be compared.
Hornady brass is the standard brass to which all others may be compared.

Will be keeping it to no more than 24" of barrel and less than 3.60" of COL
(even though a Ruger No. 1 does up to 3.78" COL with either the 450-gr TSX or 500-grain TSX with same nose on both bullets)
so as not to have the Lottites crying foul.

I will start over with 80 grains of AA-2230 which ought to be about a 100% fill at 3.56" COL and start compressing one grain at a time to 84-grain maximum.
Then start with the 84 grain charge of AA-2230 in the Norma brass (of larger capacity) for a non-compressed load of 3.56" COL.
Maybe 85 grains would make up for the 1" shorter barrel by using Norma brass ?
Maybe the mildly compressed AA-2230 in Hornady brass would more than make up for a 1" shorter barrel ?

Also, Marcella McGowen-Winchester will be used with paper-patched, duplexed-BP, 480-gr PH loads,
as well as some smokeless ball & shot loads,
from her 23" barrel.

Trying to keep everything to 24" or shorter barrels and less than 3.6" COL so as to relieve pain and suffering amongst the Lottites.
No excuses.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.